Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sequim Lavender Festival

We've heard about this festival for years but never had the time to go, so decided to do it today. It's about a two and a half hour drive over the Narrows and up Highway 101. I always enjoy driving (or riding) this Hwy. Okay, so the first picture isn't lavender, but it's another of my favorites. We parked at QFC and took the shuttle into town, and as soon as we got out of the car the smell of lavender permeated the air. Lavender is suppose to have a calming effect, but I didn't necessarily find that in Dave or in the crowds. It was incredible how many people were there from all over. At one farm while we were waiting for the shuttle I was talking to a woman that came from Buffalo New York. Not to visit friends or family, she came by herself on a 4 day weekend, just for this event.

Do you see the bumble bee below?
There was an organization called Gentle Paws that trains guide dogs that were doing dog sitting, so we were able to leave Walter there while we enjoyed the farms. From the street fair we took the shuttles to the different farms. We were only able to visit three farms, as it was 30 minutes between shuttles. I think there were about 12 farms in all.

At one farm there were a few other flowers, and I came home with three different varieties of lavender and 5 lavender plugs of the same variety, Folgate. Oh yes, and a perennial blue grass. I plan on using these in the new flower bed I will be building in the side yard.



The smells were fantastic, but I have to say that I have enjoyed the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival much more and it didn't cost $30.


No comments: